Contacting a bankruptcy lawyer is something people never want to think about. The hardest thing I have to do is to convince people to come and see me sooner rather than later. People will do everything they can to keep from discussing bankruptcy. As a result, there are many lies and half-truths about bankruptcy floating around. Debt collectors also spread these lies hoping that people will believe them. Your friends and family may also repeat some of this false information unknowingly because it is what they have been told to believe. Stop listening to other people. You can never be sure if they know what they are talking about and are in most cases wrong, even if they have filed bankruptcy before.
See if you recognize these top lies and myths about bankruptcy:
- The law did away with bankruptcy in 2005. Wrong.
- Everyone will find out that you filed bankruptcy. Wrong.
- If you file bankruptcy, you will lose all your stuff. Wrong.
- You will never be able to have anything or be able to get credit again. All Wrong.
- You can't get credit for 7 years or 10 years. Both Wrong.
- You and your spouse must file bankruptcy together. Wrong.
- It's hard to file and it's expensive to file bankruptcy. Both Wrong.
- You are a bad person or a deadbeat if you file bankruptcy. Absolutely Wrong.
- Debt collectors will still call you and harass you. Wrong.
- You can't file on back taxes in bankruptcy. Wrong.
- You can only file bankruptcy one time. Wrong.
- Bankruptcy can't help with student loans. Wrong.
- You can't file bankruptcy if you owe too much money. Wrong.
- You can't file bankruptcy if you owe too little money. Wrong.
- You can't file bankruptcy if you have a job. Wrong.
- You can't file bankruptcy if you do not have a job. Wrong.
Have you heard any other information about bankruptcy that you are not sure about? Or would you like to know the correct answer to any of the questions above? Call me and I will be happy answer any of your questions and to share with you the truth about bankruptcy law.