As freight trucks are commonly used throughout the United States to transport and deliver heavy goods across the country, accidents with these trucks do happen.
Since freight trucks are heavy vehicles, they can cause major damage to any property, vehicle or person they collide with.
Freight truck accidents can be caused for a number of different reasons:
- Dangerous driving: the truck driver was driving dangerously by ignoring the speed limits or other signs on the road.
- Driver negligence: the driver was distracted and not concentrating on the road.
- Truck maintenance: the truck was not well-maintained and these issues were responsible for the accident.
- Overloaded trucks: freight trucks that have been dangerously overloaded can negatively affect the driving of the truck and cause it to tip or struggle to slow down.
There are many factors that can cause freight trucks to have a road accident but how common are freight accidents in the US?
These truck accident stats in the US are from FMCSA, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration:
- In 2009, the number of crashes involving large trucks and buses in the US was 60,000. Between 2009 to 2014, this has increased by 55%.
- Between 2013 to 2014, there has been an increase of truck involved crashes by 21%.
- In United States in 2014, there were 1.14 fatalities per million people involved in an accident with a large truck.
From the data, it suggests truck accidents have increased but fatalities are uncommon.
These 2014 fright truck accident statistics from NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reveal:
- 3,903 people were killed in freight truck accidents. This was a 2% decrease from 2013.
- Accidents with large trucks has increased by 17% compared to 2013.
- It is estimated 111,000 people were injured in collisions with trucks.
- 73% of people who had been killed as a result of being involved in an accident with a truck were occupants of other vehicles.
The stats from NHTSA reveal 73% of people who died from an accident with a truck were drivers and passengers of other vehicles.
Heavy freight trucks can weigh over 12 tonnes and can cause terrifying destruction and injury to anyone involved.
While freight accidents are not as common as car accidents, they can cause more damage. When you or a loved one has been involved in an accident with a large truck, you need a personal injury attorney on your side.
Been involved in an accident with a freight truck? Contact our experienced team of truck accident attorneys
When you’ve experienced an accident with a freight truck, it can be a terrifying ordeal which can cause serious and/or life-changing injuries. This is why it’s so important to find a personal injury lawyer who has a history of success working on truck accidents to help you win the compensation you rightly deserve.
Our personal injury attorneys at Coxwell & Associates, PLLC, have worked on truck accident cases throughout the US. With our knowledge and experience, you can relax and let us handle your claim.
Complete this contact form and one of our attorneys will contact you to discuss your case.
Disclaimer: This blog is intended as general information purposes only, and is not a substitute for legal advice. Anyone with a legal problem should consult a lawyer immediately.