College and pro athletes must get bored in the off season because that’s when arrests rates climb. In fact, Sporting News put together the Top 5 College Football Arrests of the Offseason . From DUI to armed robbery, these young men didn’t show good judgment to say the least. A few were from SEC schools (Alabama, Florida, Auburn) which is a good segue into my predictions sure to go wrong for the SEC East.
1. South Carolina Gamecocks: Slowly but surely the “Old Ballcoach” Steve Spurrier has built the Gamecocks into a nasty team. Wide receiver Alshon Jeffrey and running back Marcus Lattimore are good enough to make Stephen Garcia a serviceable QB. The Defense is equally nasty and many of those guys will be playing in the NFL very soon. The ‘Cocks will meet Alabama in the SEC Title Game and I predict they will win it all.
2. Georgia Bulldogs: Head Coach Mark Richt is on life support. The first two games will determine his longevity. The Dawgs play big school killer Boise State in the Georgia Dome to open the season and then play the Gamecocks at home. If Richt can get past these two games the Dawgs are in good shape to run the table the rest of the way. I see them going 1-1 at best however.
3. Florida Gators: 2 years A.T (After Tebow) and the Gators have a new head coach and new offensive scheme. Gone is Urban Meyer’s spread offense. In comes Charlie Weiss’ pro style look. New head coach Will Muschamp will have the Gators competing for a national championship, but not this year. The schedule is simply too tough and the Gators are not talented enough. Yet.
4. Tennessee Volunteers: Beware of the Vols. [Cue “Rocky Top”] This team could be the Mississippi State of the SEC East. They have enough talent to pull some upsets (LSU and South Carolina at home) and QB Tyler Bray has the tools to be a great QB.
5. Kentucky Wildcats: John Calipari comes into this season after two straight trips to the Final Four…what? Ohhhh, UK has a football team? I did not know that.
6. Vanderbilt Commodores: Every time I see Vandy listed in the SEC football standings I ask myself one question: why? Get to the Ivy League fellas.
Football is a hobby but to learn more about my profession, come check me out at the Coxwell & Associates website.
Disclaimer: This blog is intended as general information purposes only, and is not a substitute for legal advice. Anyone with a legal problem should consult a lawyer immediately.